Tuesday 18 November 2008

Cacoethes scribendi - An insatiable urge to write.

Hello, How are you?
Good, I am glad.
Yes, It has been a very long time since my last post and I have missed you too.
What Have I been doing all this time? Well, where shall I begin.....

I really have been quite the busy bee. Dotting to and fro at quite a pace. I have been home recently which was a nice little inspiration boost, I like to be reminded of my roots, as sometimes things can easily be forgotten or lost in rush of things. Like a child's teddy bear at the train station, ending up in the lost and found. 

Uni has been going quite well recently. I have been involved in 'The big draw' which had some positive effects. I may have found my self some commissioned work for january which I am looking forward too, and my last project went surprisingly well. And, In a surprising direction.

'It was in that instant I first fell in love with the agile, malleable, and thoroughly magically acrobatics of typography, language and communication.'
-Debbie Millman.

Yes it is true, I have entered the strange world of type. And that was it, I had decided to meet the stranger that was digital design and shake it by the hand. Throwing myself into the world of grids and layers. I now found myself puzzling over which type face to use and in which programme. For the first time I felt I was actually doing 'Graphic Design' . Something I obsess over, something I spend so much time on, something I critique and pass judgement on every day. I was finally doing it, properly?

I couldn't believe that I had sat there, worrying about alignment and perfection for hours. It was so different from my usual hand made approach, the creased paper, and smeared glue, wonky hand drawn lines, and lapsy-daisey construction. The thing is, I loved every minute of it. It was only near the end, the final outcome, that I took a step back to look at my work, and felt that something was missing from my work, like a little piece of me. Before I knew it, colours and pattern where creeping their way in slyly. Even a little deer pranced his way onto my page. I had now merged the two dimensions to create my very own plain of creative freedom. It was no longer hand-made vs. digital, but they were now on the same team. Working together.  YES!

Flutes vinyl cover design.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Piece for the 'Big draw', that is on the Leeds Met library Window

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Other versions of the Flutes front cover, with RGBY and pastel shades.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


This is some of my illustration and line work I have been doing recently


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Aurora borealis - The Northern Lights.

I was watching a documentary the other day about arctic canada, and a part of it was about the northern lights. If there is anywhere in the world that I would like to be right now...It would be there. I think it is one of my life goals, to see, the latin named, Aurora borealis. The most magical light in the sky. I would sit in complete captivation and stare into what seems to be an astrological song. Or maybe even a dance.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




Arcana Imperil - The secrets of the empire.
Also this week, I have been reading about the Terracotta army. It's so interesting how something so old can still be remembered. Possibly one of the most amazing things about being creative, is being able to capture that moment in time, that thought and feeling and idea. I want to fill books with words, take thousands of photo's, draw, design, make. I want to record all of my dreams and thoughts and be able to look back and remember that exact point in my time..
I want to leave little parts of me everywhere, almost like a trail of breadcrumbs. Or footprints in fresh snow. Attempt to make mark in this huge place that we call a world.

Amicus verus est rara avis - A true friend is a rare bird.
Yes, this is you crisp. (You know who you are) ha.
It's funny how when you are looking for something so hard you can never seem to find it. Then one day, when you have almost given up looking, you find it right in front of your eyes. It's not everyday you find someone so different from yourself but so the same. Language has never been so fun.


And so, hence forth with the week, I shall keep on playing scrabble in the clock cafe, and making up silly words. I will forever be a tea lover and creative addict. For now, that suits me just fine, I was starting to feel the pressure to be a professional grown up... but what the heck, I'll worry about that tomorrow. Carpe Diem - Seize the day!

Don't be too serious, we're not kids for long. 

Appreciate the small things in life. Things that are free. Journeys and adventures, stories and games. Splish sploshing rain and smidge smudgey paint.

Until tomorrow x














No comments: